Mixed Greens and Black-Eyed Pea Salad
This is a very simple and delicious recipe to spruce up your mixed greens and black eyed pea salad with fennel pollen.
- 2 pounds fresh black-eyed peas (hulled)
- 1 tbsp. Fennel Pollen
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 packed cups mixed tender leafy greens, washed, stemmed and roughly cut
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups + 1 cup water
- Pick through beans and remove any that are damaged or spoiled. Also, remove any remaining hulls.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil and add peas. Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and rinse immediately under cold water to stop cooking.
- Meanwhile, wash greens and let sit, dripping wet, on a plate.
- In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, scallions and the Pollen Ranch Fennel Pollen, and cook until soft, golden and aromatic, about 10 minutes. Add 1 cup water and continue to cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Add the greens to the saucepan along with the coriander, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and cook for another 10 minutes. Add the peas. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve warm or cool.