Tofu Vegetable Stir Fry with Portobello Mushroom Beignet and Zen-Sational
Chef Bernard has included a great tofu dish with Zen-Sational fennel pollen spice blend that is not only healthy but is amazingly delicious. You get a true taste of what can be done wth tofu when mixed with great spices.
Author: Chef Bernard Guillas
- 1 package firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp. mirin
- 2 Tbsp. julienned pickled ginger
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Gently rinse tofu under running water. Pat dry. Slice into 6 portions.
- Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over tofu slices. Let stand 2 hours.
- Drain. Cut into cubes. Reserve marinade for sauce.
- Place in pan. Sear to golden. Turn over. Cook one minute. Set aside. Keep warm.
Yuzu Sauce Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. yuzu juice
- 1 orange, zested
- To taste: hot chili oil
- Combine reserved marinade with all above ingredients.
"Zen-Sational" Vegetables Ingredients
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup peeled slivered carrots
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas, cut in half on bias
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup julienned red bell pepper
- 1 tsp. Zen-Sational
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Heat oil in frying pan or wok. Sauté vegetables 5 to 8 minutes with Zen-Sational over high heat until tender crisp. Stir constantly.
- Add drained marinated tofu. Toss gently with vegetables.
- Add yuzu sauce. Cover. Heat through.
Portobello Mushroom Beignet
- 3 medium portobello mushrooms, sliced 1/2" thick
- 1/2 cup tempura batter mix
- 1/4 tsp. Zen-Sational
- 1 cup cold water
- Pre-heat fryer to 365°. Oil should be minimum 5 inches deep.
- Place tempura batter mix and Zen-Sational in mixing bowl. Add cold water. Blend well with chop sticks. If mix is a little thick add a small amount of water.
- Dip mushrooms in tempura. Deep fry 20 seconds. Place on paper towel.
3 Tbsp. slivered almonds, toasted
6 sprigs cilantro
Divide tofu and vegetables among 6 shallow serving bowls. Top each with 3 portobello mushroom beignets. Garnish with slivered almonds and cilantro sprigs
Bon Appetit –
Executive Chef Bernard Guillas
The Marine Room, La Jolla, California