Fennel Pollen Roasted Chicken
A very simple and yet amazing recipe for fennel pollen roasted chicken. If you love the beautiful aroma and flavor that is fennel, then you will love this recipe.
Saveur Magazine May/June 2000
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time 60 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 3 Tbsp. Fennel Pollen or Herbs de Provence
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 - 3 1/2 lb. chicken
- Set oven rack in upper third of oven then preheat to 400°.
- Mix Pollen Ranch Fennel Pollen and olive oil together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Using a sharp knife or kitchen shears, remove chicken's back by cutting along both sides of the backbone. [Discard backbone or save for making stock].
- Position butterflied chicken skin side up and use your fingers to gently pry skin away from as much of the breast and legs as you can without tearing it.
- Rub pollen mixture under skin, then all over chicken. Season liberally with salt. Set chicken skin side up on a rack set in a shallow roasting pan, and roast until skin is golden and thigh juices run clean, about 1 hour.
- Set chicken aside to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Note: You can try this fennel pollen paste on pork and fish as well as chicken.